We toured Salzburg and made a video just for you.
Salzburg translates to “salt fortress” and after exploring this town, you will know why. Salzburg is the fourth-largest city in Austria and the capital of the federal state of Salzburg. It is also a twenty minute bus ride from our apartment in Germany.
From Mozart, to the Sound of Music, to beer, and salt, you will love Salzburg, Austria.
Find out so much more in the video. Then scroll down to plan your own trip.
Plan Your Own Trip
- We used the free self-guided walking tour of Salzburg from Big Boy Travel.
- Mozart Residence you can buy a combi ticket to get in here and the Mozart House. Just get to the Mozart House before it closes…we didn’t.
- “World’s Best Chocolate Cake” at Satcher Café. We also had lunch here and they had a great veggie burger.
- Stiegelkeller for beer and awesome views of the city.
- Ticket info for the funicular or Fortress Railway. If you are going to Stiegelkeller you are halfway there anyway and might as well walk.
- Fortress Hohensalzburg requires tickets for the museums, but you can cruise the courtyard and take in the view for free. See our Salzburg Christmas Market video for our nighttime experience in the fortress (below).
- Ready for another beer. Augustiner Bräu is tasty and has food vendors in the lobby. We were all able to choose our own dinner here — vegetarians and meat eaters found something good.