Just a few miles from Red Lodge, along the banks of the West Fork of Rock Creek, is the Silver Run Ski Trails. We took a little walk here during the fall and imagined how fun it would be to ski here in the winter.
West Fork of Rock Creek
The West Fork of Rock Creek is a boulder-strewn beauty. The trail is a long, narrow loop with connector trails throughout, dividing it into four mini-loops.
There are supposed to be signs designating the cutoffs, but we only saw the signs on the upper part of the loop, and since we started at the bottom, that didn’t help much, but it is still pretty obvious.
This is a lovely hike, not the most spectacularly scenic, but a great close-to-town walk or mountain bike ride.
Details for Hiking the Silver Run Ski Trails in Red Lodge
Getting There: From Red Lodge drive south and turn right on West Fork Road. Stay straight at 2.8 miles (the right road goes to Red Lodge Ski Area). Drive another 1.6 miles to Silver Run Road and turn left. Drive across the bridge and park.
Distance: 2.4-5 miles (Loop 2 is a three-mile hike).
Elevation Gain: 300 feet
Best Hiking Guidebooks for the Beartooths
- Day Hikes in the Beartooth Mountains by Robert Stone
- Hiking the Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness by Bill Schneider
- Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness East Map [Cooke City, Red Lodge] (National Geographic Trails Illustrated Map, 722)
More On Red Lodge, Cooke City- Silver Gate, and the Beartooth Highway
- Visiting Red Lodge in Winter
- Summer Red Lodge Itinerary
- Hike the Silver Run Ski Trails, Red Lodge
- Hike South Fork Grove Creek, Red Lodge
- Playing and Staying in Cooke City and Silver Gate, Montana
- Things To Do in Cooke City Montana in Winter
- Best Places to Stay Near Yellowstone National Park
- Things To Do Beyond Yellowstone’s Borders
- Explore the Beartooth Highway